The total area of Saulkrasti County is 46.8 km². Its administrative centre is located on the seacoast of the Gulf of Riga, in the west part of Vidzeme. Saulkrasti territory includes seaside forests from the Lilaste River and Lake in the South to Zvejniekciems in the North. The length of the administrative territory is 17 km. 

More than 6 thousand people have declared their place of residence in Saulkrasti County. The number of inhabitants increases during the summer at the peak of the tourism season and due to the activities of horticultural cooperative farms.

The distance from Saulkrasti centre to Riga is 45 km, to Limbaži – 47 km, Sigulda – 40 km and Salacgrīva – 58 km.

The territory of the county is crossed by the international highway VIA Baltica. 

The following populated areas are in Saulkrasti County – Bātciems, Pabaži, Saulkrasti and Zvejniekciems and the horticultural cooperative farms. There are four rivers running through the territory – Inčupe, Pēterupe, Ķīsupe and Aģe, which are reflected as symbols in the coat of arms of Saulkrasti.

Saulkrasti was formed and acquired its name in 1933 by uniting the populated area of Neibāde with Pēterupe village. The name Saulkraste was chosen by the local writer Emīls Cīrulis according to the name given to a location in his play “Ziedu laiks”. The history of Neibāde resort is more recent then the evidence of Pēterupe village.

Saulkrasti territory was first mentioned in the Livonian Chronicles of Henry at the end of the 12th century and the beginning of the 13th century. The small settlements of the Livs on the costal areas of the sea that were populated by the rebellious Livonians have been written about there. In the 13th century this territory was part of Kubesele County. After the introduction of Christianity in Latvia a wooden prayer house or chapel was built on a hill by the river and named after St. Peter. Pēterupe village was gradually formed around the vicarage building and the church (first mentioned as Peter’s Chapel in the early documents).

The territories around the hillforts and the German established centres of the populated areas were governed by the manors in the 14th and 15th century.

Saulkrasti was developed as a resort at the end of the 19th century. The coastline territory, with the steep banks of small winding rivers, is one of the most beautiful on the Vidzeme shore and has been a popular recreation place since ancient times. Neibāde was established in 1823 when two barons – Aleksey von Pistohlkors of Bīriņi Manor and Karl fon Reitern of Lēdurga Manor built the first summer cottages near Pēterupe. Now there is a monument in Saulkrasti open-air stage park in honour of the Lēdurga baron von Reitern who opened the seaside resort at the beginning of the 19th century. In the middle of the 19th century Neibāde resort started to grow – it was a popular recreation place of Vidzeme landlords. The resort was also visited by noblemen from Tērbata, Vīlande and Pērnava as well as from Moscow, St. Petersburg and other cities of the Russian Empire.

During World War I Neibāde was nearly destroyed and landlords were deprived of their properties. The land was redistributed according to land reform. During the war Neibāde was deserted and Pēterupe village became the centre of economic activity.

In 1934, railroad traffic was opened on the route Riga–Rūjiena–Saulkrasti and the intellectuals from Riga – Alfrēds Kalniņš, Tija Banga, Lilija Šmithene and other representatives of art and culture started to arrive in Saulkrasti. This was also the time when different societies were established in Neibāde and Pēterupe. The Recreation Centre for the Latvian textile industry representatives and the summer camp of the Latvian Children's Aid Society in “Rūķīši” was open till the beginning of World War II.

Saulkrasti suffered major damage during World War II and the resort restoration progress was slow. Saulkrasti was granted city rights in 1991.