Kārlis Vītols and his son Mārtiņš “Brankšs” started building the mill in 1890. The mill was powered by a single underflow watercourse. In the beginning, there was one flour and one groat mill. The lake of the mill was about 6 ha large, with a drop of 4 m. The maximum flow rate of the free-flood gates was 20 m3 per second. Not many people know that Brankši Mill produced the best groat in Latvia at that time.